What Is Acne?
If you suffer from acne, you’re not alone. Acne is a common skin condition driving many to the dermatologist each year. It occurs when hair follicles are plugged by dead skin cells due to an excess of oil known as sebum, which is produced by the sebaceous glands.
This allows bacteria to grow and causes inflammation, and thus, acne.
How Is Acne Diagnosed?
There are many different types of acne, and it’s most commonly found on the face, back, chest and shoulders. Your dermatologist diagnoses acne during a skin exam. Types of acne include:
- Comedones: Hair follicles that are clogged with oil and dead skin. When they remain open at the surface, they are called blackheads. When they are closed, they are whiteheads.
- Papules: Small, inflamed bumps
- Pustules: Contain pus and may cause scarring if squeezed
- Nodules: Large, painful red bumps that contain secretions deep in the hair follicles
- Cysts: Painful, pus-filled bumps that can lead to scarring
How Is Acne Treated?
With so many types of acne, so many causes, and so many treatments available, it’s best to start with a trip to the dermatologist.
Common treatments include topical applications and medications taken orally, as well as specialized treatments. Specialized treatments your dermatologist may recommend include:
- Aerolase: Laser treatment that is effective at treating cystic acne and acne scars. Aerolase offers fast results, brightening, tightening, and restoring skin.
- Chemical peels: An effective treatment for acne scars. Chemical peels remove damaged surface skin and work deep within the skin to stimulate collagen production to firm skin and heal scars and spots.
Where Can I Get the Best Acne Treatments in Columbia?
Tired of acne or acne scars? Talk to skilled medical and cosmetic dermatologist, Dr. Chesahna Kindred here at Kindred Hair & Skin Center. We offer treatment tailored just for your skin.
Call for a consultation today at 443-424-7754, and let us help you revitalize and achieve clear, smooth skin.